Building Inspection & Code Enforcement


The Town of Hudson has adopted by reference (with amendments) the International Building Code, 2018 edition; The International Residential Code, 2018 edition; The International Fuel Gas Code, 2018 edition; The International Plumbing Code, 2018 edition; The International Mechanical Code, 2018 edition; The International Existing Building Code, 2018 edition; The International Property Maintenance Code, 2018 edition; The International Swimming Pool and Spa code, 2018 edition; and The International Energy Conservation Code, 2012 edition; promulgated by the international code council. Chapter 18 of the Hudson Municipal Code provides the building codes adopted by Town.


The Town of Hudson has contracted with SAFEbuilt to provide the community with building plan reviews, building inspections, and code enforcement services.  A building permit application may be obtained from our Permits & Licenses page. Once an Applicant meets the requirements of the Land Development Code, applicable building codes, and the Building Permit Application has been reviewed and approved by SAFEbuilt, a Building Permit may be issued to the Applicant from the Town of Hudson and the permitted work may begin.  

Please refer to the “When a permit is required” guide for more details on work requiring permits.  Over the counter permits may be issued within 2 days of submission, while building permits requiring plan review could take 1-2 weeks before the first review is completed and subsequent reviews could take an additional 1-2 weeks per review.  Once the Plan Reviewer has approved the permit, the applicant is required to pay the permit fees in order for the Town to issue the permit.

Over the Counter Permits may include:

  • Sanitary sewer and water repairs
  • Furnace
  • HVAC
  • Water heater
  • Re-roofs 

Submittal requirements for Building Permits include:



The following development guides provide details, including additional requirements for:


Do I need a permit? 

The most frequently asked question is “Do I need a permit?”  Please refer to the ‘When is a permit required?’ Building Guide for more information on work requiring a permit.

Where can I locate my fence? 

All fences must be located on the property or property line on which they are serving, however, fences are not allowed within recorded easements.  It is the property owner/applicant’s responsibility to locate their property lines.  Additionally, property owners/applicants should be aware of existing private utility service lines on their property and the need for access to them.  There is no height limit to fences, though there may be building code requirements that may impact fence height and/or require additional plans and review to permit them.  See also ‘When is a permit required?’ Building Guide for more information on permit requirements.  

Where can I locate my shed?

Please refer to the Planning Department webpage for information on zoning and development standards, including but not limited to setbacks, building height and lot coverage as well as an ‘Residential Setbacks’ Development Guide.

Do I need a contractor’s license to do work in Town?

Only electrical contractors require a contractor’s license with the State.  License verification will be completed prior to permit acceptance.

Do I need a contractor’s license to work on my own home?

As a homeowner you can do work without a contractor’s license on your own property where you live. However, if you subcontract a project your electrical and plumbing contractors are required to hold a license from the State of Colorado.

What happens if I do not get a required permit?

You may be subject to penalties as prescribed by law. CAUTION: If you do work, or have work done on your property without obtaining the required permit, you could be incurring liability in the event of a fire or accident related to the work. In some circumstances, your insurance could be invalidated.  If work is done and a permit is obtained after the fact, the fee charged is double the permit fee.

What if my water heater breaks on the weekend? Can I replace it and get a permit on Monday morning?

Generally, the Town will allow for emergencies such as these.  However, non-emergency work will be required to pay double the permit fee.

How long is my permit valid?

Every permit issued shall become invalid unless the work authorized is commenced within 180 days. The permit shall also be invalid if the work authorized is suspended or abandoned for a period of 180 days or more, i.e. no inspections have been performed. An extension may be granted for justifiable cause.

What will my building permit cost?

Your building permit fees vary according to the type of project. Fees are based on the valuation of the project, including both material and labor. The fees cover both the permit and inspections on the project.

How do I schedule an inspection? 

The phone number to call for inspections is listed on your building permit card. When you call, a recorded voice will prompt you for the information you need to provide.

Can I call for a specific time for my inspection?

Requests for specific times on inspections for homeowner projects cannot generally be accommodated; however, a.m. or p.m. requests will be honored whenever possible. 

Inspection Line: 303-774-0454

Am I responsible as a homeowner for work done on my home without a permit?

Yes, as the owner of the property, you are responsible for all work done. It is your responsibility once the title is in your name. It may be necessary to get a permit after the fact for work that is already complete and have it inspected for your safety.

Are building permits transferable?

If property is sold during the construction process, before a certificate of occupancy is issued, the new owner is required to apply for and purchase a new permit.


Code Enforcement Officer

Jake Cooke

Phone: 720-749-1089

Chief Building Official

Rocco Deluca Jr.

Phone: 303-774-0454



When is a permit required?

Permits & Licenses

Planning Department (Land Use Zoning and Development Standards)

Public Works & Utilities Department (Utility Locates/811)